1. Wash it carefully with soap and water
2. Apply an antiseptic (i.e. hydrogen peroxide)
3. Apply and antibiotic cream

1. Clean the bite to rid it of infection
2. Victim should be treated by a doctor

Whether the bite is large or small, a doctor should be contacted if swelling, increasing redness, or drainage occurs, or if there are flu-like symptoms, fever, or swollen glands.


1. Remove the stinger by scraping with your fingernail or the blade of a knife
2. Wash the area thoroughly with soap and water
3. Apply ice, calamine lotion, or baking soda-and-water mixture to relieve the swelling and pain

A stinger that is not removed continues to release venom into the body for as long as 20 minutes.

Do not remove a stinger with tweezers. Squeezing releases more of the poison into your body.

The swelling should be gone within 24 hours.

1. Difficulty breathing
2. Begin to cough
3. Complain of headache
4. Possibly become unconscious

Immediate medical attention is needed if an allergic reaction develops.


1. has appearance of a small pinprick
2. dull, numbing pain
3. headache
4. shortness of breath
5. tight feeling in chest

1. immediate stinging sensation
2. forms an ulcer encircled by a red ring (looks like bull’s eye on a target) after a few hours
3. weakness
4. fever
5. joint pain
6. nausea
7. shock

A bite by either of these spiders needs to be examined by a doctor as soon as possible.


1. Remove the tick as quickly as possible without squeezing its body. Squeezing the tick could cause it to inject harmful bacteria into your body. Grasp the tick with tweezers as close as possible to its mouthparts and gently but firmly pull until the tick releases hold.
2. Disinfect the bite with rubbing alcohol or another antiseptic.
3. You should check the bite occasionally for at least two weeks for signs of Lyme disease.

1. red rash around the bite (shaped like a bull’s eye and increases in diameter each day)
2. fever
3. chills
4. severe headaches
5. dizziness
6. nausea
7. sore throat
8. fatigue
9. muscle and joint aches

You may experience all or only one or two of the symptoms. Because of the many symptoms, Lyme disease has been mistaken for other illnesses. You should consult your physician if you are in doubt. Lyme disease can be treated with antibiotics in its early stages. If the disease is not diagnosed in the victim soon after it is acquired, permanent arthritis may result.


1. Get the victim away from the snake.
2. Check the snakebite for puncture wounds. If one or two fang markings are visible, the bite is from a poisonous pit viper.
3. Remember what the snake looks like. The doctor will need to know this to provide the proper treatment.
4. Keep the victim calm, lying down, and with the bitten arm or leg below the level of his heart to slow the blood flowing from the wound to the heart. The more the victim moves, the faster the venom spreads through the body.
5. Clean the wound. Be sure to wipe away from the bite. This keeps any venom on the unbroken skin aroung the bite from being wiped into the wound.
6. Watch for general symptom (i.e. sharp pain, bruising, swelling around the bite, weakness, shortness of breath, blurred vision, drowsiness, or vomiting.
7. Get the victim to the hospital as soon as possible.

If any of the above mentioned symptoms occur within 30 minutes from the time of the bite, and you are over two hours away from medical help, tie a constricting band (3/4 to 1 1/2 inches wide) two inches above the bite or above the swelling. The band needs to be loose enough to slip a finger underneath it. The band slows blood flow away from the bite, keeping the venom from reaching the heart. The band must be applied within 30 minutes after the time of the bite to be effective. If the swelling spreads, move the band so that it is two inches above the swelling.

Comments are closed.