1. Never put butter or greasy ointments on a burn. They seal heat into the wound and may cause infection.
2. Always seek medical attention if…
* Victim is a child or elderly
* Burn covers more than one body part
* Burn is located on any sensitive area of the body (hands, face, feet, etc.)
* Burn is third degree
* Burn is caused by chemicals
First Degree Burns
First degree burns damage the outer layer of skin.
2. mild pain
1. Immediately submerge the affected part in cold water.
2. Hold it under cold running water, or place cold, wet cloths on it until the pain decreases.
3. Cover with a clean, dry gauze dressing for protection.
Second Degree Burns
Second degree burns go through to the second layer of skin.
2. rough, red skin
4. extreme pain
1. Immerse in cold water or have cold, wet cloths applied to it immediately.
2. Gently blot area dry. Do not rub. Rubbing may break the blister, opening it to infection.
3. Cover wound with dry, sterile bandage.
4. If burn is located on arm or leg, keep limb elevated as much as possible.
Second degree burns should heal within a few weeks.
Third Degree Burns
Third degree burns are less painful than second degree burns because the nerve cells in the affected tissue are actually destroyed, but the damage is greater. The burn goes through to the third layer of skin.
1. whitish or charred appearance
1. Do not remove any clothing near or at the site of the burn
2. Do not apply cold water or medication to the burn.
3. Place clean, dry cloths (i.e. strips of a clean sheet) over the damaged area.
4. If burns are on arms or legs, keep the limbs elevated above the level of the heart.
5. If victim has burns on face, check frequently to make sure he is not having difficulty breathing.
6. Get victim to a hospital at once.
1. Remove clothing on or near the burn area. Never pull clothing over the head with a chemical burn. You may need to cut the clothing.
2. Wash the area thoroughly with low pressure water for at least 20 minutes.
3. Apply a clean dressing to the area.
4. Get medical attention as soon as possible.